A Tulane University fraternity house was damaged in a fire Sunday morning. The Zeta Psi Fraternity house was decorated for a party, making it difficult for firefighters to maneuver inside the house, and one fire captain was injured when he fell through the floor, the New Orleans Fire Department said.
A Worthing firefighter said smoke alarms had prevented two house fires from being much more serious. Watch manager Darren Wickings said if it had not been for the alarms being in place, then people could have been seriously injured or could even have died.
The Provo Fire Department is kicking off Fire Prevention Week by trying to get smoke alarms in every rental sleeping area and hallway in the city. Fire Prevention Week runs from Oct. 9-15 and is a long-running national event.
IRONTON — A smoke detector installed as part of the Project Safe program helped save the life of a man during a fire at 6:15 a.m. in the 1900 block of S. 4th Street, said Ironton Fire Chief Tom Runyon.
The smoke alarm woke up Mike Clarence Markin at 1917 S. 4th St., Runyon said. Markin was able to get his dog and get out safely before calling 911, he said. Markin was asleep when he heard the smoke alarm in the other section of the duplex at 1919 S. 4th St., Markin said.
A mother of three young children got them safely out of her apartment when a cooking fire broke out. Fire officials said a properly working fire sprinkler system rapidly extinguished the fire, preventing a potential disaster.
Alachua County Fire Rescue sent crews to a second-floor apartment in a three-story building at the Bellamy Grand apartments off Southwest 75th Street just before 8 p.m.
LOS ANGELES — They can look benign from a distance — solar panels glistening in the sun or turbines gently churning with the breeze to produce electricity for hundreds of thousands of homes. But building and maintaining them can be hazardous…
All Joshua Hamlin wanted to do was ride his bike across the street to say hi to his buddy before dinnertime.
The 9-year-old’s simple idea almost turned fatal when he was hit by a Ford Explorer, flew 45 feet off his bicycle and was knocked unconscious.
“It was just like any other day. He got home from school, came inside, ate really fast and goes, ‘Mom, I’m going down to my friend’s house,’ and he went,” said his sister, Shania, 15.
Joshua survived his accident in March, but he suffered broken bones, internal bleeding and a brain injury. Today, the Apache Junction boy still has scratches, scars and some memory loss…
In response to a Bryans Road house fire that killed a child last week, the Bryans Road Volunteer Fire Department led a door-to-door campaign Saturday to check and install smoke detectors throughout the old section of the Strawberry Hills neighborhood…
The National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Firewise Communities/USA® Recognition Program is celebrating its 10th anniversary and honoring nine original pilot sites for their continued participation and successes in reducing wildfire risks. The nine sites being honored were among the first to become involved in this volunteer community action model. The Firewise Communities/USA Recognition Program was born out of the Firewise Communities program in 2001 to give communities the opportunity to work together toward wildland fire preparedness to save lives, property and natural resources. The Firewise Communities Program was developed in the 1980’s in response to the severe property losses from brush, grass and forest fires across the country.
As the decision whether to require residential fire sprinklers reaches state and local governments, passionate arguments are being made by proponents and opponents alike. Encompassed in this emotional debate are data and research—some more reliable than others—along with myths and unsupported assumptions.
The challenge for managers and elected officials is determining the acceptable level of fire risk and making the best decision for their communities…Read more…